By Diane Bolger
An authoritative consultant on gender prehistory for researchers, teachers and scholars in anthropology, archaeology, and gender studies
- Provides the main updated, accomplished assurance of gender archaeology, with an specific specialize in prehistory
- Offers severe overviews of advancements within the archaeology of gender during the last 30 years, in addition to tests of present tendencies and clients for destiny research
- Focuses on contemporary 3rd Wave ways to the learn of gender in early human societies, not easy heterosexist biases, and investigating the interfaces among gender and prestige, age, cognition, social reminiscence, performativity, the physique, and sexuality
- Features a variety of local and thematic themes authored by means of confirmed experts within the field, with incisive insurance of gender learn in prehistoric and protohistoric cultures of Africa, Asia, Europe, the Americas and the Pacific
Read or Download A Companion to Gender Prehistory PDF
Best archaeology books
The Encyclopedia of ancient Archaeology is a ground-breaking compendium of data approximately this ever-growing box. focusing on the post-1400 interval in addition to containing usual causes of historic archaeology the place wanted, the encyclopedia is compiled through over a hundred and twenty specialists from world wide and comprises greater than 370 entries protecting very important innovations and websites.
The eu Bronze Age, approximately 2500 to 750 BC, was once the final absolutely prehistoric interval and the most important to the formation of the Europe rising within the later first millennium BC. This ebook offers a close account of its fabric tradition, evaluating and contrasting proof from diversified geographical zones, and drawing out the fundamental features of the interval.
Scholars of archaeology, travelers, viewers to museums and all these drawn to mythology will worth this finished guide. It info the most important gods and goddesses and offers a wide survey of others, giving a bright photograph of the complexity and richness of the imagery of Egyptian mythology.
GorensteinArchaeologyMesoamerican reports, as they're nonetheless practiced this day, are framed through the Spanish colonial intrusion into Mexico from the east, and next involvement with the Aztec Empire. «Greater Mesoamerica» expands the definition of «Mesoamerica» past the extra commonly authorised primary Mexican components to either western and northwestern Mexico the place refined cultures have been flourishing outdoors the area of Spanish impact.
- Natural Disasters and Cultural Change
- Matter, Materiality and Modern Culture
- The Bioarchaeology of Dissection and Autopsy in the United States
- Patrology, Volume 1: The Beginnings of Patristic Literature
Extra info for A Companion to Gender Prehistory
Matthews, eds. Pp. 7–17. Boston: American Schools of Oriental Research. , 2006 Gender and Archaeology in South and Southwest Asia. In Handbook of Gender in Archaeology. S. M. Nelson, ed. Pp. 667–690. Lanham, MD: AltaMira. Slocum, Sally, 1975 Woman the Gatherer: Male Bias in Anthropology. In Toward an Anthropology of Women. R. R. Reiter, ed. Pp. 36–50. New York: Monthly Review. Smith, Claire, and Emer O’Donnell, 2006 Gender and the Disciplinary Culture of Australian Archaeology. In Handbook of Gender in Archaeology.
Gilchrist, Roberta, 1999 Gender and Archaeology: Contesting the Past. London and New York: Routledge. Gilchrist, Roberta, 2004 Archaeology and the Life Course: A Time and Age for Gender. In A Companion to Social Archaeology. L. Meskell and R. W. Preucel, eds. Pp. 142–160. Oxford: Blackwell. Gilchrist, Roberta, 2009 Sex and Gender. In The Oxford Handbook of Archaeology. Cunliffe, C. Gosden, and R. Joyce, eds. Pp. 1029–1047. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , 2001 Personhood, Agency and Mortuary Ritual: A Case Study from the Ancient Maya.
Joyce, eds. Pp. 1029–1047. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , 2001 Personhood, Agency and Mortuary Ritual: A Case Study from the Ancient Maya. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 20:73–112. Helskog, Knut, 2001 Maleness and Femaleness in the Sky and Underworld – and In Between. In Perceiving Rock Art: Social and Political Perspectives. K. Helskog and B. Olsen, eds. 247–263. The Institute of Comparative Research in Human Culture. Oslo: Novus. , 2005 Fact or Speculation? How a Feminist Perspective Can Help Students Understand What Archaeologists Know and Why They Think They Know It.