By Carl G. Hempel
G TRADE-PAPERBACK. HEAVY UNDERLINING AND different MARKINGS p101-117; LITTLE IF ANY somewhere else.
Read or Download Aspects of Scientific Explanation and Other Essays in the Philosophy of Science PDF
Best history & philosophy books
This index quantity presents easy access to the main authoritative compilation of files and knowledge bearing on Einstein's paintings and correspondence for the 1st half his existence. It bargains readers a Cumulative Index to the 1st ten volumes of the accumulated papers, the 1st whole bibliography of Einstein's medical and nonscientific writings until eventually 1921, and a succinct biographical time line.
The heritage of technological know-how is one in all wisdom being handed from group to neighborhood over millions of years, and this can be the vintage account of the main influential of those routine -- how Hellenistic technology handed to the Arabs the place it took on a brand new lifestyles and ended in the advance of Arab astronomy and medication, which flourished within the courts of the Muslim global and later handed directly to medieval Europe.
This e-book reviews the movement of social wisdom by means of concentrating on the reception of Niklas Luhmann's platforms idea in Hispanic the US. It indicates that theories desire lively involvement from students within the receiving box so one can commute.
Introducing the Enlightenment is the basic advisor to the giants of the Enlightenment—Adam Smith, Samuel Johnson, Immanuel Kant, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson. This publication offers a transparent and obtainable advent to the best thinkers of the age, the lads and girls who believed that rational endeavour may well exhibit the secrets and techniques of the universe.
- Thomas Kuhn (Philosophy Now)
- Taking Science to the People: A Communication Primer for Scientists and Engineers
- Monad to Man: The Concept of Progress in Evolutionary Biology
- The penultimate curiosity : how science swims in the slipstream of ultimate questions
- Organisms and Artifacts: Design in Nature and Elsewhere
- Mathematics, Science and Epistemology, Philosophical Papers
Additional resources for Aspects of Scientific Explanation and Other Essays in the Philosophy of Science
Nelson Goodman. 3), lends itself, however, to certain generalizations which satisfy only the more liberal conditions of adequacy just considered. Studies itt the Logic of Confirmation  On the other hand, the soundness of the logical analysis (which, in a clear sense, always involves a logical reconstruction) of a theoretical concept cannot be gauged simply by our feelings of satisfaction at a certain proposed analysis; and if there are, say, two alternative proposals for defining a term on the basis of a logical analysis, and if both appear to come fairly close to the intended meaning, then the choice has to be made largely by reference to such features as the logical properties of the two reconstructions, and the comprehensiveness and simplicity of the theories to which they lead.
3) and their consequences. 46 46. For these proofs, sec the article referred to in note 1. I should like to take this oppor tunity to point out and to remedy a certain defect of the definition of confirmation which was (contimud ooerUaf)  CONFIRMATION, INDUCTION, AND RATIONAL BELIEF Furthermore, the application of the above definition of confirmation is not restricted to hypotheses of universal conditional form (as Nicod’s criterion is, for example), nor to universal hypotheses in general; it applies, in fact, to any hypothesis which can be expressed by means o f property and relation terms of the observational vocabulary of the given language, individual names, the customary connective symbols for ‘not’, ‘and’, ‘or*, ‘if-then’, and any number ol universal and existential quantifiers.
Consider the simple case of the hypothesis H: ‘(x)(Raven(x) 3 Black(x))’, where ‘Raven’ and ‘Black’ are supposed to be terms of our observational vocab ulary. Let B be an observation report to the effect that Raven (a) • Black (d) • ^ Raven(c) • Black(c) •^ Raven(d) • ~ Black(d). e. 45 In other words, from the information contained in B we can infer that the hypothesis H does hold true within the finite class of those objects which are mentioned in B. Let us apply the same consideration to a hypothesis of a logically more complex structure.